find your perfect LLM program
Search our Database of over 2500 Courses
Boston University: School of Law
School of Law
The core of the Boston University School of Law (BU Law) learning experience is superior teaching and a supportive, dynamic learning environment in which teachers guide, inspire and challenge. BU Law professors are devoted to their students -- academically, professionally and individually. The school is ranked in the top 20 of American law schools in U.S. News and World Report.
BU Law offers foreign-trained and domestic lawyers four leading LLM programs
- LLM in American Law (for foreign-trained lawyers): A one-year, full-time graduate law program designed to introduce jurists trained outside the United States to American law and the U.S. legal system. Designed for applicants who want to qualify to take a US bar exam, transfer to a JD program, gain practical experience, and/or explore new practice areas.
- LLM in Banking and Financial Law: For lawyers seeking advanced training in financial services law. Offered in residential or online learning formats. Designed for applicants who want to work in financial institutions and central banks, have an internship during their course of studies, and/or qualify for a US state bar exam.
- LLM in Intellectual Property Law: Designed for applicants who want to become experts in copyright, trademarks, and patent law. Students learn from the field’s leading experts.
- LLM in Taxation: Designed for U.S. and foreign-trained lawyers specializing in tax law. Offered on either a full- or part-time basis in residential or online formats. Provides a rigorous study of tax law taught by both full-time academics and nationally recognized practitioners.
Graduate Certificates: BU Law also offers two graduate certificate programs to lawyers and non-lawyers alike. These programs allow students to take classes from a corresponding LLM degree program, without the full commitment or cost of a degree. Certificate graduates who meet the corresponding LLM degree admissions requirements are able to apply their certificate credits towards the full LLM degree.
- Certificate in Financial Services Compliance (Corresponding degree: LLM Banking & Financial Law)
- Estate Planning Certificate (Corresponding degree: LLM in Taxation)
Legal English Programs
- Two-Year LLM Program: In year one, students complete the Legal English Certification Program (LECP), taking a mix of legal English and legal skills courses. In year two, students enroll in one of our full-time LLM degrees. The LECP program may also be completed as a stand-alone certificate program.
- Center for English Language and Orientation Programs: Offered in 6-week and 12-week formats, provides students with foundational knowledge of US Law and hands-on training in legal English communication skills.
A Modern Facility for Law Students
BU Law is located in the heart of Boston and housed in the ultra-modern Sumner M. Redstone Building and Law Tower. See for yourself why we’ve been named as having one of the nation’s best law school facilities by taking our virtual tour.
A Commitment to Your Professional Success
As a BU Law LLM student, you are never alone in your job search. Our experienced LLM Professional Development staff provide expert advice and guidance based on your professional background and career goals. Learn more.
How to Apply
All applications and supporting documents must be submitted through the Law School Admissions Council (LSAC). To apply, you will need to register for an account.
More information about the application requirements, estimated timelines, and application deadlines for degree programs can be found on the BU Law website.
Scholarship Opportunity with LLMstudy.com
Are you an LLM student at this University or have you applied to study an LLM program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here